Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Avalon High: Quickwrite

The Meg Cabot is the author of various books, and one of the books is Avalon High. Her writing skills very simple. She writes as if the reader was reading the character’s mind. Meg Cabot does use dialogue, but when Ellie (the main character) is talking to herself she uses first person. The book is mainly written in to the main character’s perspective. For example, I can imagine how the character is feeling emotionally, physically, and what she is seeing. One example is when Ellie said,
“ [...] I found myself dining with A. William Wagner once again. How I made him laugh over the plate of steaming hot crab dip we shared at Riodans’s downtown [...] How i almost made him choke on his Moose Tracks ice cream at Storms Brothers while i told him the story of the time i stuck the red hot up my nose when i was four ,just to hear him laugh laugh again [...],” (Cabot 169)
. When i read this area of the paragraph from Avalon High I could imagine that Will and Ellie is having a great time together, and Ellie is trying her best to make Will forget about the incident that happened while sailing. Meg Cabot did a good job at being very descriptive about the character’s thought, feeling, and sight, because i felt that i was in the same room where the characters were at. I believe that Cabot did a great job at her writing skills because made the reader feel what is the character’s feeling. When i read the quote above i felt that i was in the same setting of Will and Ellie and able to see and feel what Ellie did when she was with Will that night. Meg Cabot did a very good job a being very descriptive when it comes to her books. Another example, is when Cabot was being descriptive on Ellie’s emotion. Ellie said,
“It was the first flower an body had ever give me. Which was why, even after he dropped me off at home and drove away, it was hours before my heart started to beat anything like normally again,” (Cabot 77).
I could really feel how Ellie felt when Will gave her the flower, It is just another way Meg Cabot showed her writing skills of being descriptive.

No comments:

Post a Comment